Mrs. Crull's Second Grade Class

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Insect Creations

We have been studying insect. (this is one of my favorite units :-) We have learned what makes an insect an insect, how insects adapt to their surroundings, what kind of life cycle do different insects go through, etc. One activity I always do with my class is to create an insect. I encourage them to be creative! I told them to think about things that happen at school, home, or even the bus, that you could explain by creating an insect that did it. For example, "What causes all our things that we tape up in the hallway to fall down?" or "What causes every one's pencil led to break off in the pencil sharpener?" Yesterday they wrote about their insect (where it lives, what it eats, who are its enemies, and 3 interesting facts) and typed everything up on the computers. Today, they created their insect using all kinds of things, from sticks and pipe cleaners to aluminum foil and googly eyes. They all turned out REALLY well!

Here are some pictures of the kids making their insects.
I am going to have the kids choose who's insect project is the best, and post the top 5!


Posted by Picasa